Prior to Arriving in Japan
Prior to Arriving in Japan
Visa Support for International Students Tokyo Metropolitan University helps privately funded international students coming to the university with visa acquisition and renewal procedures as well changes in their visa status. If you are an international student who needs this support, you should submit a Student Visa Acquisition/Renewal Support Request Form along with your entrance examination application. If you are an undergraduate, submit these documents to the Admissions Office. Graduate students should submit them to the Academic Affairs Section of the respective graduate school. Once the International Affairs Office receives the list of international students needing visa support from the undergraduate or graduate school you will be attending, it will provide you with information on the necessary procedures. Note: The International Affairs Office does not provide support for acquiring short-term visas to come to Japan to take the entrance examination.
Download the Student Visa Support Request Form from here.
From the Entrance Examination to Entrance to Japan
The Japanese immigration process is as described below.
- International student: Submit a Student Visa Support Request Form along with your entrance examination application. (Undergraduates ⇒ Admissions Office, Graduate students ⇒ Academic Affairs Section of the respective graduate school)
- International student:Pass the entrance examination
Take the entrance examination
Complete the admissions procedures
- Undergraduate/graduate school: Sends list of international students needing visa support to the International Affairs Office
- International Affairs Office: Contacts the international students and sends them the prescribed form
- International student: Submit the required documents to the International Affairs Office
① Application for Certificate of Eligibility (COE) (five pages)
② ID photo (40 cm × 30 cm)
③ Copies of certificate of graduation, diploma, etc.
④ Copy of student’s passport
⑤ Copy of the student’s letter of acceptance
⑥ Letter of financial support (signed by the financial supporter)
- International Affairs Office:Requests a COE from the Immigration Bureau on behalf of the international student
The Immigration Bureau issues the COE, which is sent to the International Affairs Office
The International Affairs Office sends the COE to the international student
- International student:Apply for a student visa
（１）Take the COE and apply for a student visa at your local diplomatic mission (Japanese embassy or consulate general)
a) Before applying for a visa, check with the diplomatic mission to find out what documents are required.
b) If you do not enter Japan within the period of validity of the COE (three months from issuance), the COE will become null and void.（２）Visa issued
- Visa issuedEntry to Japan
Present your passport with your visa and COE affixed to the immigration official at your port of entry.
Receive landing permission (a residence card will be issued at your port of entry).
- International student:Take your passport and residence card to your local municipal office and register as a new resident.